YCG Teacher Training 2019
Yoga Chi Gung
Teacher Training Course
Yoga Chi Gung is unique because it is based on Taoist Yoga, Chi Gung and the traditional yogic practices of India and Tibet prior to the development of modern Yoga in the 1920’s, complimented by modern research. It is also in alignment with the energies of the Aquarian Age, which began on December 21, 2012. The theme of this era is unity, the expansion of consciousness, the meeting of science and spirituality, psyche and soul, which requires a new type of Energetic Exercise that is more feminine in nature.
From 1977 until 1997 Grant studied and practiced modern Yoga. He then went on to explore Chi Gung, Tai Chi Chuan, The Alexander Technique, The Feldenkrais Method, Pilates, Body Weight Callisthenics, Body Mechanics and Human Movement, which resulted in the creation of Yoga Chi Gung (YCG). In October 2018 the 21 year research project Grant initiated in 1997 was completed, resulting in Yoga Chi Gung and Primordial Tai Chi. This system includes principles and practices from a number of ‘Body Oriented Modalities’ that have been modified so as to be body-friendly and yet still retain their energetic effectiveness. The practice is based on the ‘Concept of Release’, which is a Tai Chi principle that was applied by Yoga Teachers Rama Birch and Kim Orr to the practice of yogic postures. The practice of YCG catalyses enjoyment, awareness, softness, strength and fitness and uses the body and breath as alchemical agents. A complete practice is made up of:-
- Opening Invocations – sitting.
- The Dissolving Process – supine.
- The Joint Release – standing.
- Taoist Yoga Postures – supine, kneeling and prone.
- The Primordial Tai Chi Form: facing each cardinal direction – standing.
- Sitting Meditation – sitting.
- Relaxation – supine.
- Closing Invocations – sitting.
The concept of ‘Pranayama’ is interpreted as ‘Being with the breath’ and is practiced by ‘Observing and feeling the breath’; flowing with the breath throughout the practice in the same way a surfer rides a wave. Practical tuition also includes learning The Wu Chi (nabhi) Test and Correction, Emotional Transformation and The Vitality Walk for immune activation – used by 20 million Chinese people to heal themselves of cancer.
- Grant began practicing Yoga and Meditation in 1977 and began teaching Yoga in 1980.
- In 1981 he began exploring Gung and Tai Chi Chuan and in 1982 he began researching The Alexander Technique and Awareness through Movement.
- He began training teachers in 1992.
- In 1996 he integrated principles discovered by Joseph Pilates and exercises from Body Weight Callisthenics into his Yoga.
- In 1997 he began developing Yoga Chi Gung, which evolved over a 21 year period.
- Grant has taught throughout Australia, in New Zealand and in Wales.
Practitioners qualified in Osteopathy, Chiropractic, Physiotherapy, The Alexander Technique, Sports Medicine and The Feldenkrais Method have evaluated the practices to ensure they are safe to practice into old age. They are preventative and strengthen every part of the body, both externally (structurally) and internally (functionally), which maximises their energetic and psychological effects.
Grant is one of the most experienced Yoga and Chi Gung Teachers in Australia. For many years he was recognised as a Yoga Teacher by the International Yoga Teachers Association (IYTA), a Level Three Senior Teacher and Teacher Trainer by Yoga Australia (YA) and a Chi Gung Instructor by the International Internal Arts Association (IIAA). He also trained as a Tibetan-Japanese Reiki teacher and was recognised by the Australasian Ayurvedic Practitioners Association (AAPA) as a Practitioner; however he has since resigned his membership from these organisations. Grant has also travelled to India four times, including one trip to Kerala in South West India to study Ayurveda and the links between South Indian Martial Arts, Kalari Yoga and Chi Gung. He has travelled to the USA twice to study meditation, has taught seminars and conducted presentations at Conferences in Wales, India and New Zealand, and in six states of Australia. He has been training teachers since 1992.
- Students who live in or close to Brisbane attend weekly classes and one day seminars/retreats.
- Students who live further away from Brisbane or interstate attend one day and five day seminars complimented by one to one tuition through Skype or Google Hangouts.
- A person can join the course at any time.
- The course takes one to two years to complete – this depends on where the person lives, their learning speed, commitment to home practice, completion of theory assignments and living a yogic lifestyle.
- The total minimum hours of tuition depend on the individual; credits are given for previous training in Yoga, Chi Gung and The Feldenkrais Method.
- Initially students are required to devote 45 minutes per day to home practice and this should evolve to one hour per day over time, to complete 10 theory assignments and before graduating, attend classes and seminars with Grant until they are proficient in the practices and hold a current First Aid Certificate.
- Some individuals may also be required to undergo natural therapy processes.
- Graduates receive a certificate of completion as a Yoga Chi Gung Teacher so they can obtain insurance with AON Risk Services Australia as an Allied Health Practitioner under the modality of ‘Yoga Chi Gung’.
1: Chronobiotic Alchemical Nutrition.
2: Anatomy and Physiology.
3: Subtle Anatomy and Psychology.
4: Yoga Chi Gung Practices: part one.
5: Yoga Chi Gung Practices: part two.
6: Yoga Chi Gung Practices: part three.
7: Emotional Transformation.
8: The Art of Relationships.
9: Levels of Consciousness and Universal Laws.
10: Traditional Texts.
Manuals and notes are provided for all the assignments except Assignment Two – for this student need to refer to an Anatomy and Physiology textbook.
Prospective students are required to complete Five Projects that make up a Preparation for the Course Program. After this a course enrolment form is completed and formal training begins.
Testimonials from Course Graduates
I have gained and learnt so much; it has been a profound revelation.
The most wonderful life changing experience; I feel truly blessed.
I am a different person, a better person than before; for this I am very grateful.
This is the most comprehensive system of self-healing that I have ever encountered.
I am more content and at peace, more connected to life. I feel very privileged to have done this course.
I feel like a new person. My spine is so much stronger and I have a sense of freedom. I am sleeping so well now and I have a renewed enjoyment in everything I do. Thank you.
There are some life experiences that change you forever and this has been one of them. Thank you.
I feel deep gratitude. This practice is redefining my life; how I live it and how I view it. Thank you.
Grant, I am writing this to acknowledge the great contribution you have made to my life. I now have direction, focus, clarity and more emotional stability. May the grace of God be with you.
I have more confidence, more energy and feel more relaxed and aware. My mind feels freer and quieter; more spacious. Relationships with my partner and other people have also improved.
I feel lighter and more aware. I feel I am being guided and I now see myself as a part of life. Relationships with my friends and family have improved and are a lot smoother.
I am lighter and brighter with increased mental clarity – I am smarter! Relationships have improved. I have become aware of what is life affirming and feel deeply grateful.I have felt little joy in the past few years. Now I am feeling lighter, more peaceful and full of hope. I am also less emotionally reactive, more centred and able to live in the present.I feel more present. I am more confident, focused, intuitive and more present. I am experiencing greater compassion and joy. Relationships are lighter, more playful and communication is easier.
My mind is clearer and more focused and I feel more optimistic about life. I am lighter, more receptive and expansive. My heart is awakening and my intuition is stronger.
I am learning new skills faster and am less fearful about failure in accepting new challenges; this is a breakthrough for me! I feel more gratitude. My life has more meaning and I feel more fulfilled.
I feel stronger and more energised, yet calmer. My body has changed shape and energy levels have dramatically increased. I am more finely tuned to the flow of life.
The most astounding aspect is that a major change occurred within me without any conscious effort apart from practising every day. I now feel empowered, joyful and excited about life.
I am able to live more fully in the present and I have found purpose and a way to give and heal. I have done this course three years in a row and loved every minute of it.
I feel stronger, more confident and calmer. My relationship with my husband and children has improved more than I expected, allowing us to launch ourselves into a process of healing our family. Grant, thankyou for being my coach and friend, and helping me realise that we are all ONE in JOY.
The most significant change in my life is one of deep calm; I repeatedly find my days have more space and time despite the fact I am doing the same amount of activity. My capacity to focus and stay calm and compassionate has increased. I have more energy and feel more inspired; less stuck. I feel so sure that I am ‘With my truth’. Your depth and richness as a teacher is awesome. Thank you.
This is the most amazing system of energetic exercise. During the practice I feel lighter and more energetic, and the slower and gentler moves are more challenging and strengthening; I have a deeper level of awareness. The softer and more energetic principles of this practice are also helping me to lighten up and flow more easily in my daily life. I am letting go of using effort-based energy in my relationships.
Attending this course and doing these practices has been an amazing, life changing experience. It has taken me beyond normal meditative states, bringing deeper relaxation, happiness and a feeling of excitement about life. It has provided me with clarity of thought, enhanced concentration and deeper understanding, which is immense. I have more energy, need less sleep and am able to deal with problems and challenges more easily.
- Weekly classes run for two hours – $20.
- One day seminars, including two on teaching skills: 9 am to 5 pm – $100 each.
- A one day retreat on ET, Nutrition and food preparation: 8 am to 7 pm – $150.
- Five day retreats in Brisbane: 8 am to 7 pm – $750.
- Ten theory assignments including notes, articles and manuals – $80 per assignment. Students will need to refer to or purchase an Anatomy and Physiology textbook in order to complete Assignment Two.
- Local students: total approximate cost of the course based on 40 classes ($800), six one day seminars ($600), two one day retreats ($300) and 10 theory assignments ($800) – $2,500. Total hours of tuition – 150 hours.
- Interstate students: total approximate cost of the course over one year based on two one day seminars on Sundays ($200), two five day retreats, which are held the week following two of the one day seminars ($1,500), individual tuition via Skype or Google Hangouts ($80 per hour). Total hours of tuition from attending seminars and retreats – 120 hours plus one hour of one to one tuition equals eight hours.
Payments can be made by cash at classes/seminars or by direct deposit prior to attendance. Direct deposit details:-
Grant Woolven Trading as CHI: CBA Paddington, Brisbane, Australia
Branch Number (BSB): 064 121, Account Number: 1000 3510
For more information:–
- Phone 07 3366 8995.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Skype: grant.woolven1